<<Back to main page

303 SOUTH JEFFERSON
RESIDENCE

Site 6
(Constructed for Thomas Sheldon)
Date of construction: c. 1869
Architect: Ludwig Volusin Bude, East Saginaw, Michigan

 

303 South Jefferson - view from East

 

 

The architect of this home, Ludwig Volusin Bude, was one of the earliest, if not the first, trained architects in Saginaw. Constructed as a residence for Thomas Sheldon, a banker, the arched windows and low pitched roof are all typical features of Bude’s Italianate-style homes.  After completing this home, Thomas Sheldon did not stay in East Saginaw long and by 1878 the home had new owners.  In the early twentieth century, it was purchased by Dr. Henry J. Meyer.  Using it as an office and home, he had the basement excavated for a garage and added a new porch that wrapped around the north and east sides of the home.

 

 

 

 

Map

 

Rollover map of Historic South Jefferson Walking Tour 100 South Jefferson Avenue 403 South Jefferson - Dow House (This is connected to the First Congregational Church) Jeffers Park 403 South Jefferson - First Congregational Church 600 Federal Avenue 500 Federal Avenue - Castle Museum 505 Janes Avenue - Hoyt Library 303 Jefferson Avenue 310 South Jefferson Avenue 321 South Jefferson Avenue 523 Hayden 411 Hayden 505 Millard 503 South Jeffferson 508 South Jefferson 523 South Jefferson 505 Thompson 518 Thompson 604 South Jefferson 614 South Jefferson 615 South Jefferson St. Mary of the Assumption Cathedral South Jefferson and Hoyt - Location of the fire of 1893

 

Sources

“Bude: Saginaw’s Early Architect.”  The Saginaw News  5 February 1950.

East Saginaw and Saginaw City Directories