<<Back to main page

321 SOUTH JEFFERSON
RESIDENCe

Site 8
(Constructed for Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Dunk)
Constructed: c. 1870
Architect and Builder Unknown

 

321 South Jefferson - ResidenceOriginally this wood frame home had a low-pitched roof with wide overhanging eaves and a three-story tower.  About thirty years after it was constructed, the tower was removed, a new steeper roof was constructed and a new porch was constructed. The changes dramatically transformed the house and they appear to have been undertaken to update the home and make the house seem more stylish. It is interesting to note that the distinctive groups of windows in the gables appear to have been salvaged from the original tower.

 

In the mid-twentieth century, the house was converted into a doctor’s office and apartments.  At that time, the c. 1900 porch was removed.

 

 

 

 

c. 1902 view showing house after alterations

 

Map

 

Rollover map of Historic South Jefferson Walking Tour 100 South Jefferson Avenue 403 South Jefferson - Dow House (This is connected to the First Congregational Church) Jeffers Park 403 South Jefferson - First Congregational Church 600 Federal Avenue 500 Federal Avenue - Castle Museum 505 Janes Avenue - Hoyt Library 303 Jefferson Avenue 310 South Jefferson Avenue 321 South Jefferson Avenue 523 Hayden 411 Hayden 505 Millard 503 South Jeffferson 508 South Jefferson 523 South Jefferson 505 Thompson 518 Thompson 604 South Jefferson 614 South Jefferson 615 South Jefferson St. Mary of the Assumption Cathedral South Jefferson and Hoyt - Location of the fire of 1893

 

Sources

“View of East Saginaw to Southeast.” Saginaw Illustrated.  New York: International Publishing Company. 1888.

"Goodridge Brothers Studio." Goodridges’ Art Souvenir of Saginaw, Michigan, USA. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Albertype Co. 1902.

East Saginaw and Saginaw City Directories