<<Back to main page

518 THOMPSON
NEW AMADORE APARTMENTS

Site 18
Construction completed 1931
Architect: Cowles and Mutscheller, Saginaw, Michigan
Arthur Vollmer, Builder, Saginaw, Michigan

 

Located convenient to the business district,  The Amadore [later renamed The New Amadore], opened five years after the completion of the Jefferson Apartments.  With 63 units, period descriptions describe that care has been taken to vary the floor plans between units.  When the building opened in 1931, the Saginaw Daily News included a feature section that

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

remarked on the use of local contractors and materials in its construction.  The paper described the building:

 

“From its imposing stone entrance and its attractive lobby, to its airy rooms, its unexcelled facilities and the commodious garage at the rear, the Amadore is a residence that anyone may well find as attractive.  Pleasing to the eye as well as to the other senses, it is a building of dignity as well as of beauty.”

 

At the same time he was designing this building, Clarence Cowles was designing a building at 100 South Jefferson [Site #1 on this walking tour]. 

 

From The Saginaw Daily News, 9 October 1931.  Collection:  Local History and Genealogy Collection.  Hoyt Library.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Map

 

Rollover map of Historic South Jefferson Walking Tour 100 South Jefferson Avenue 403 South Jefferson - Dow House (This is connected to the First Congregational Church) Jeffers Park 403 South Jefferson - First Congregational Church 600 Federal Avenue 500 Federal Avenue - Castle Museum 505 Janes Avenue - Hoyt Library 303 Jefferson Avenue 310 South Jefferson Avenue 321 South Jefferson Avenue 523 Hayden 411 Hayden 505 Millard 503 South Jeffferson 508 South Jefferson 523 South Jefferson 505 Thompson 518 Thompson 604 South Jefferson 614 South Jefferson 615 South Jefferson St. Mary of the Assumption Cathedral South Jefferson and Hoyt - Location of the fire of 1893

 

Sources

Special Section. Saginaw Daily News  9 October 1931.