<<Back to main page

523 HAYDEN
NEW COVENANT CHRISTIAN CENTER CHURCH

Site 9
(Constructed for First Church of Christ Scientist)
Cornerstone laid: October 7, 1907
Architect: C.L. Cowles, Saginaw, Michigan
Addition: 1927, Frantz and Spence, Saginaw, Michigan

 

New Covenant - View from Warren Street 2008When completed in 1907, the Saginaw Evening News proclaimed  “[i]n location the church is fortunate and in return the church has given to its neighborhood an architectural ornament.”   Constructed with brick walls trimmed with limestone, the main worship space is located in the central, domed portion of the building.  It is one of three Saginaw church buildings, in which architect Clarence Cowles utilized a similar floor plan.

 

Originally the main entrance was from Warren Avenue.  In 1927, a major expansion was designed  by Frantz and Spence. The building was extended on the Warren Avenue side of the building and a new entrance was constructed on Millard.  On the North and West sides of the building, the extent of the additions is marked by a change brick.

 

Since the early 1990s the building has been the home of New Covenant Christian Center Church.

 

From the Saginaw Daily News, October 20, 1934

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Map

 

Rollover map of Historic South Jefferson Walking Tour 100 South Jefferson Avenue 403 South Jefferson - Dow House (This is connected to the First Congregational Church) Jeffers Park 403 South Jefferson - First Congregational Church 600 Federal Avenue 500 Federal Avenue - Castle Museum 505 Janes Avenue - Hoyt Library 303 Jefferson Avenue 310 South Jefferson Avenue 321 South Jefferson Avenue 523 Hayden 411 Hayden 505 Millard 503 South Jeffferson 508 South Jefferson 523 South Jefferson 505 Thompson 518 Thompson 604 South Jefferson 614 South Jefferson 615 South Jefferson St. Mary of the Assumption Cathedral South Jefferson and Hoyt - Location of the fire of 1893

 

 

Sources

“First Church of Christ, Scientist.” Saginaw Evening News 24 February 1908. 3.

“Church of Christ Scientist, Incorporated in 1895.” Saginaw Daily News 20 October 1934.

“Remodeled Christian Science Church.” Saginaw Daily News 3 December 1927.