<<Back to main page

604 SOUTH JEFFERSON
OFFICE - Freid Gallagher & Associates PC

Site 19
(Constructed as a residence for Mr. & Mrs. Otto Schupp)
c. 1913
Architect Unknown

 

By the early twentieth-century, Saginaw had been transformed.  As Michigan’s third largest city, with an economy focusing on the emerging automotive industry, it was a thriving community.  It had fully recovered from the collapse of the lumber industry in the late 1880s. Throughout the city new commercial buildings and residences were being constructed. New architectural styles were developed to express this new industrial age.  However, some clients and designers found inspiration for their designs in America’s Colonial past. 

 

In its form and detail, 604 South Jefferson is an excellent example of the Colonial Revival. It was constructed for Mr. and Mrs. Otto Schupp.  Mr. Schupp had a varied career, much of it relating to Saginaw’s growth as an industrial center.  He started his career working as a lumber scaler in logging camps and rose to become the president of the Bank of Saginaw. During his career, he participated in the creation of the businesses that transformed Saginaw into an industrial center.

 

Today, the house is used as an office.

 

Map

 

Rollover map of Historic South Jefferson Walking Tour 100 South Jefferson Avenue 403 South Jefferson - Dow House (This is connected to the First Congregational Church) Jeffers Park 403 South Jefferson - First Congregational Church 600 Federal Avenue 500 Federal Avenue - Castle Museum 505 Janes Avenue - Hoyt Library 303 Jefferson Avenue 310 South Jefferson Avenue 321 South Jefferson Avenue 523 Hayden 411 Hayden 505 Millard 503 South Jeffferson 508 South Jefferson 523 South Jefferson 505 Thompson 518 Thompson 604 South Jefferson 614 South Jefferson 615 South Jefferson St. Mary of the Assumption Cathedral South Jefferson and Hoyt - Location of the fire of 1893

Sources

Otto Schupp. The Saginaw News. 9 November 1941. 1.

Saginaw City Directories