<<Back to main page

614 South Jefferson - Residence
Site 20
(Constructed as a residence for Mr. & Mrs. Louis Mautner)
c. 1916
Architect: Attributed to J. Fred Beckbissinger, Saginaw, Michigan

 

614 South Jefferson c. 1918614 S. Jefferson was constructed in 1916 for Mr. and Mrs. Louis Mautner.  Mr. Mautner was a partner in the popular clothing store, Mautner and Krause, located on E. Genesee.  The restrained exterior is enriched with buttresses at the front corners and at the front entrance.  Their form is echoed in the playful curve of the roof line. The current asphalt roofing shingles are not original and replaced the original tile roofing. The front entrance is reached by a broad terrace with built in planter boxes.  The massive brick walls are enlivened by false buttresses at the corner and a geometric pattern of brick and stone squares at the cornice line and at the front entrance.

 

Map

 

Rollover map of Historic South Jefferson Walking Tour 100 South Jefferson Avenue 403 South Jefferson - Dow House (This is connected to the First Congregational Church) Jeffers Park 403 South Jefferson - First Congregational Church 600 Federal Avenue 500 Federal Avenue - Castle Museum 505 Janes Avenue - Hoyt Library 303 Jefferson Avenue 310 South Jefferson Avenue 321 South Jefferson Avenue 523 Hayden 411 Hayden 505 Millard 503 South Jeffferson 508 South Jefferson 523 South Jefferson 505 Thompson 518 Thompson 604 South Jefferson 614 South Jefferson 615 South Jefferson St. Mary of the Assumption Cathedral South Jefferson and Hoyt - Location of the fire of 1893

Sources

Mills, James Cooke. History of Saginaw County Michigan.  Saginaw, Michigan: Seeman & Peters, Publishers. 1918. II:125.

Saginaw City Directories